Zucchini bites are a delicious and healthy snack that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. These bites are made by combining grated zucchini with various ingredients such as eggs, cheese, and breadcrumbs, and then baking them in the oven until they are crispy and golden brown. Zucchini bites are a great way to sneak in some extra vegetables into your diet and are perfect for those who are looking for a low-carb snack or even an appetizer.
It’s about that time of Summer when we are heading into Zucchini Overload Season! But after you taste these Zucchini Bites made with double cheese, you will be glad to have a few extra zucchini hanging around.
Being in Italy I certainly have an overload of zucchini, I love making and of course eating Zucchini Patties, a Classic Zucchini Bread, a delicious and cheesy Zucchini Parmesan and of course a favorite pasta dish that a friend shared, Zucchini Cream Cheese Pasta!
What are the ingredients for Zucchini Bites
- Zucchini – medium zucchini
- Mozzarella – firm shredded mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Egg – large egg
- Bread Crumbs – or panko breadcrumbs
- Parsley – fresh parsley finely chopped
- Garlic – fresh finely chopped clove
- Salt and Pepper – black or white pepper
How to substitute raw garlic
If you’ve bought pure garlic powder then it’s pretty easy to substitute it for fresh cloves. One clove of garlic equals about 1/8th of a teaspoon garlic powder.
How to make Zucchini Bites
In a medium frying pan add the olive oil, chopped zucchini, minced garlic, salt and water. Cook covered on medium low heat until the zucchini is tender, remove the cover and continue to cook on low until the water has evaporated.
Remove the pan from the heat and place in a large bowl, mash with a fork. To the bowl add the shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, egg, bread crumbs, parsley and pepper, combine gently until the mixture is compact.
Form into approximately 19 balls, then roll the zucchini balls in the bread crumbs, place on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Remove from the fridge and cook by deep frying in hot oil until golden, pan fry in a little hot oil, turn once or twice until golden, or place the balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a pre heated oven until baked. Sprinkle with a little salt before serving.
These Double Cheese Zucchini Bites are very easy to put together and the ingredients are easy to find. And you probably already have them in your kitchen. Simple and Delicious, exactly what Summer is all about.
I have made the zucchini balls the day before and chilled them for 24 hours before baking.
These Zucchini Bites can be cooked a number of ways, including, deep-fried, which many Italians like to do, pan-fried which is the way I made them or even baked which would make these not only delicious but healthy too and only 40 calories for one!
You can serve these with a marinara sauce, buffalo blue cheese dipping sauce, honey mustard dipping sauce or even a creamy parmesan sauce. Or why not choose one of your favorites!?
How to store the zucchini bites
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. They will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge. You could re-heat either with a microwave or in the oven.
They can also be frozen either baked or raw, if baked place in a freezer bag or container. If they are unbaked then place the balls on a cookie sheet and freeze until firm, transfer to a freezer container or bag in a layer separated with parchment paper. Both ways will keep for up to a month in the freezer.
So whatever you make with your extra zucchini, I hope you will keep a couple aside and try these Cheesy Zucchini Bites. And of course don’t forget to let me know what you think of them. Buon Appetito!
Cheesy Zucchini Bites
FOR THE ZUCCHINI BITES
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini (chopped small)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup shredded firm mozzarella (1 cup if you like it extra cheesy)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg (large)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (45 grams total)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes pepper
EXTRAS (FOR ROLLING)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs (approximately for rolling)
- In a medium frying pan add the olive oil, chopped zucchini, minced garlic, salt and water. Cook covered on medium low heat for approximately 10-15 minutes (make sure the zucchini does not brown, you want it tender), remove cover and continue to cook on low until the water has evaporated and zucchini is tender.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl and mash with a fork. To the bowl add the shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, egg, bread crumbs (¼ cup + 2 tablespoons), parsley and pepper, combine gently until compact.
- Form into 19 balls, then roll the zucchini balls in the ¼ cup of bread crumbs, place on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour*.
- Remove from the fridge and either deep fry in hot oil (350 F / 180 C) until golden, or pan fry in a little hot oil, turn once or twice until golden, or bake in a pre heated 350F / 180C oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. Sprinkle with a little salt before serving. Enjoy/!
*Can be refrigerated overnight and cooked the next day.
Updated from August 1, 2018.